Tuesday, August 19, 2008

28th national youth taekwondo championship

The 28th national taekwondo championship. Penang was the venue. Penang International Sports Arena (PISA) to be exact. Located exactly in the heart of Penang, Pearl Of The Orient.





Over 900 competitors took part in the sparring event. Another 36 teams of 3 competed in the poomsae event.





The championships kicked off with the weighing in of participants. I came in at 52kg leaving me in the feather weight division. My category had the most participants. A whooping 6 rounds of competition to the finals (not that i was hoping of reaching it) And so fate would deal it, I came undone in the very first round. Yes I know, it's humiliating but I lost to a deserving opponent. He represented Selangor at this year's SUKMA (SUKAN MALAYSIA) and bagged the gold in this category. I lost 3-o over the 3 halves of our match.





The level of competition here was high. The guy that beat me lost in the quarters to some dude who represented Malaysia at the Korea Open last month. WTH? And yes you would never have guessed it but, that guy lost in the final as well.





Yoga and Dave won gold though. In the heavyweight and fly weight category respectively. Fatin got bronze in the fin weight category. The winners of the 14-17 age group category were selected to undergo an incamp training to select a team to participate in the world junior championships 2010 in Mexico.





On the last day we were in Penang, our teacher gave us a treat at KFC and brought us to Batu Feringgi. On a whole, this was a very very satisfying outing. My fight for all that 5-6 minutes of it was awesome. Enjoyed it. Although I do have lots to learn.






the massive stadium and the 8 arenas


at KFC. From left, chee yin, Fatin, aminah, george ( covered by her), Dave , Miss Yew

At Batu Feringgi. Yoga, My instructor, Miss Liew ( lady in white on the left )


some of the stuff at Batu Feringgi

below, leaving Penang. The Penang bridge.

- to better fights -

No comments: